Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Library of Babel

"Like all men of the Library, I have traveled in my youth; I have wandered in search of a book, perhaps the catalogue of catalogues; now that my eyes can hardly decipher what I write, I am preparing to die just a few leagues from the hexagon in which I was born."
-- Jorge Luis Borges

Yesterday I rode my bike down a street near my house. It was a route I don't usually take. I saw a little bookstore. I was in a rush, so I didn't stop, but I made a note to return. This morning I stopped in and asked the shopkeeper if he had any books by Hilda Domin - a Jewish German lyric poet whose work is simple enough for me to read. Leyla and I saw a movie about her last year at the documentary film festival.

"Follow me," he said.



"I say that the Library is unending."

He didn't have any Domin. I left with four other books. I have a lot of work to do.

1 comment:

cuencalauro said...

What´s really magic about it is that there are not just books but people.So many voices,so much life...what we try to say is unending.We look for words,and than more words and more and more but i guess we will never say it all...Elisabetta