Monday, October 29, 2007

Frankfurt Marathon wrap...

So what happened in Frankfurt?

I went out fast... VERY fast... but comfortable.

My coach (Winfried Aufenanger, who for 20 years trained the German Olympic team) caught up to me on a bicycle at 5k and told me the weather was perfect and that I should take my chance at running a 2:35 marathon. I was already planning on a 2:39, and had gone through 5k too fast (18:15), so rather than pull in the reins, I kept it open. I figured, why not?

Felt great through 15k, great through 20k, passed the halfway point (21.1k) faster than I have ever raced a half-marathon (whoa, I'm really flying), started to feel the burn a little bit at 25k... and tightened up at 30k. Drat.

I kept at it, but by 36k when I saw Lily again (I saw her @13k, looking good - her, not me), I was ready to pack it in because my calves were trying to turn themselves into diamonds. I stopped for a quick hug and stretch and she told me to keep going. What can I say? I listen to my girl.

By this point I was running to finish, trying to stay positive, but I was laboring (see 40k video). Not a Full-Antonioni Blowup, but not exactly an even split, either. Came home in 2:42:01. Winfried was at the finish talking with another runner. He gave me a big hug, congratulated me, and said, "Say, do you know Dieter Baumann?" Dieter won the gold medal in the 5000m at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, silver in Seoul in 1988, (and was banned from competition in 1999 after testing positive for steroids... he claimed someone spiked his toothpaste).

So, myothercountry fans, stay tuned for Schmalz/Baumann post-race photos.

A good day, all things considered. I took a shot at a huge day and had a pretty big (albeit painful) one instead. Personal records in the marathon (by 4 minutes, 19 seconds) and the half marathon (by 40 seconds). Somehow, what felt like a crummy second half was the fastest second half of the five marathons I've run. Something to build on for the winter.

Video Alert: if you go to the marathon site and put my name in the search, if you click on the little camera icon next to my name, you will be directed to videos of the race... FYI, I'm wearing blue singlet and shorts and, in all but the last two videos, sunglasses. Paste this:

http://www.frankfurt-marathon.com

then put "SCHMALZ" in the "name" box and hit SUCHEN...

1 comment:

EKR said...

is your wildest dream fulfilled to finish a marathon in a dance club on Shannon Tribute Band night?

You are a stud, Fred!