Wednesday, June 16, 2010

WM2010... it begins

The World Cup is here and Germany is awash in flags...



although I have only seen a couple in this particular pattern...

saturday night, the 'murkens (eva, ryan, lily, me) were joined by two of my good running buddies, Oli and Timm...



at the bar across the street for the USA-England match. Oli's fiance was rooting for England (she left at halftime). I think I amused the locals with my shouting.

The next night, I joined these guys (and a bunch of other germans) at a local church to watch the dismantling of Australia by a young and talented German team.



The real Mannschaft took a post-game bath.

Not a lot of goals so far, and a few really forgettable games (I mean, nobody expected anything out of Algeria-Slovenia, but that Ivory Coast-Portugal was actually WORSE is kind of hard to fathom), but it's early, and there is a good possibility of a second round match-up between my country and my other country.

In other World Cup notes: KR arrives in Kassel Monday, fresh from Jo'berg. Expect to be regaled with stories of the opening match and the madness on the streets.

1 comment:

lisa said...

out of the cellar and into the bath tub....