Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Life is not a wish-concert

That's what Tina said over roasted duck the other night in Düsseldorf. She was talking about her family and perhaps only because it's a common German saying was she also and inadvertently talking about music. Which is anyway why we were there. To see the musicians, and to start scheming up the music video I'll be working on with them over the next months.

The weather alternated between rain and sun and hail. Typical. We caught a view of the Rhine and walked through the old city, stopping at Füchschen for Altbier. C and I swapped stories about visiting large iron bridges and T stood on the steps of the big pink castle making proclamations to the empty park and there was no time to get a haircut.

Life isn't an all-request hour is Fred's translation, which probably gets closest in English to the feel of the saying. But I still preferred to think of it literally, imagining a concert of wishes - like a bouquet of roses or a herd of sheep - on the train ride home as I scribbled down impressions from the past two days. Thank you and danke schön once more to Düsseldorf for inspiring me and tiring me and messing up my head a little bit. In a good way.

Das leben ist kein Wunschkonzert. Das leben ist kein Strauss kein pride of lions. Kein bed of roses, no walk in the park. Dreh dich um. Dreh dich ab. I’m gonna kill you, man, bring dich um, bring you around to the concert of wishes playing at the Tonhalle. Hol mal deine neue Brille ab you can sing along vom Anfang an: ichwilldasichwilldasunddaswillichnicht. By heart we know it auswendig ich schwöre es dir.

A flock of birds, a crane. It’s time to repair die grosste Eisenbrücke Europas again. Schöneheitsmesse. A mess of beauty, a bounty. Flurry of electricity, cords color coded. Master the track. Leg es mal auf / fest. Sei tatowiert. Verdeckt. Versteckt. Bedeckt. Entdeckt. Entsetzt.

Achtung ich bin die Burgermeisterin. Achtung ich will etwas ansagen und alle mussen zu mir zuhören. Gefällt es dir mein Zuhause? The wood I’ve collected in my arms? The pink castle, the pond with a willow tree at the center? Good. I am looking for a window I can jump out of. Actually I am looking for two. And a rooftop, and the arms of two strong men to break my fall. Sie sollen mich verdecken können, mich verstecken können, so I can roll away and start running.

No comments: