Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Custom-Made Wig



Usually in the theater, wigs are recycled from one production to the next, re-styled to fit the piece. They are made of real hair, which is incredibly expensive, and to make a wig is a labor intensive process, taking approximately 40 hours of work. Sometimes, like my afro from Hair, the wigs are even store-bought to shortcut this process. But my wig for the operetta that premieres tomorrow was made especially for me. It was made by Lena, who works in the Maske doing her apprenticeship at the theater. It was her first wig, and it fits like a glove.

First, she sewed together the netting for the frame. This had to be measured on my head a few times before it had any hair on it, in order to make it fit flat on my head.


The hairs were then sewn on individually - 20,000 knots, more or less. While being sewn, the wig stands on this metal contraption, and is stapled down to a wooden head to keep it from sliding around.




Once it was finished, it was styled into early 20th century waves.




Then I had another wig fitting, this time to show the finished product to the costume designer, who liked it but wanted the waves to be more exagerrated.


Before the show, my hair is coiled to fit under the wig. This process is called "schneckeln" in german - "to snail" the hair.


Then it's show time.

2 comments:

lisa said...

thanks for sharing that.
it looks lovely on you.
I actually purchased one of the "head" holders without knowing what it was (I just thought it was cool). Andy promptly came home and set me straight, since she uses them all the time.

EKR said...

enlightening. had no idea what went into making wig. and it is FABULOUS.