Thursday, October 22, 2009

Seven for Eleven



I've been on the road for seven of the last eleven weeks. In that time, I've seen nine U.S. states, slept in at least a dozen places (not including upright in planes, trains and automobiles), visited friends and family, DJ'd a wedding, run a marathon, drunk a bottle of saki with Onikaaru, lost (and found) my passport, seen sunrise through the St. Louis Arch, spent my 11th wedding anniversary in Connecticut (?), witnessed the ritual of a father giving his son a haircut (video forthcoming), come out of the subway and experienced the disorientation of New York City (finally!), longed for home, called home, acknowledged where home is, had that slip through my fingers, and reset my sights for the coming winter.

It's good to be back. I plan to keep my feet on the ground for a little bit, save a few weekend jaunts to Düsseldorf, Berlin, and the weekly Wednesday teaching trip to Göttingen. Cold rolling in. Time to unpack all of it. See how it looks in Kassel's low-wattage winter light.

No comments: