Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wupping it up...

favorite colors edition...



This weekend, having survived my intensive course in Göttingen, we got away on the train to (W)est Germany for thirty-six hours of not-Kassel. We dipped into Wuppertal to check out a certain late choreographer's master work - which I found mind-blowing.

After the show, we hit the ivy-covered Luisenviertel...



with Doogie (down from Düsseldorf) and Meri (who danced in the show) for late dinner, a crisp Kölsch, and name-that-tune. Good to see the kids again.

Sunday morning I got up in the rain and ran in the woods above Wuppertal, which, due to its steep hills, is known as "the san francisco of germany." Mmm... the hills are about the only thing Bay Area-like - they'll knock the wind out of you... otherwise, the view is "industrial" to say the least...



Wuppertal's biggest tourist attraction is its public transporation system, the Schwebebahn, or "floating train." Lily liked the little cars, but the whole thing made her seasick.



After getting booted from our hotel, we jumped the train to Köln to check out the Dom...



Peep the Gerhard Richter window...



And let what light there was stream in...



We capped our trip with a lunch visit with Vinnie and a little walk along the Rhine.



One of our goals this year is to get out of Dodge as much as we can, as a way to keep from getting stale and/or stir-crazy. This was a good start.

1 comment:

Caylee Pugh said...

Hello! I just happened to stumble onto your blog after clicking around on danceminute.com. And how shocked and delighted I am! I lived in Wuppertal two years ago, and I have never known of any other American who has been there before. Until now! I read that you went to see the late Pina Bausch's show. How did you like it? I saw her show while I was living there; it was mind blowing! Anyways, hope things are going well in Deutschland!