Monday, May 18, 2009

Zuhaus

I spent the last week in NYC. It's been 2 years since I've been back, and I couldn't help but feel like the whole show was going on for my pleasure. I wanted to thank everyone I saw for doing their tiny part in bringing me back to life - the post-NYU grads in leggings and oversized sunglasses, the delivery guys running food into corporate high-rises, the two little rich sisters standing barefoot next to their expensive mother on 58th and 5th, the impudent dogs, the 2 train to Brooklyn, the jamacian patties, the gay salesmen complimenting my coat...

But the best part was getting passed from friend to friend. My feet didn't touch the ground. I didn't work, I didn't dance, it was just one big love fest. I wasn't able to catch everyone on camera, but here's a glimpse. Part 1 is set to a tune by the German songstress Hildegard Knef. She's singing about her home town, Berlin:

in dieser stadt kenne ich mich aus
in dieser stadt war ich mal zuhaus
wie sieht die stadt wohl heute aus?
in dieser stadt war ich mal zuhaus

which is not as catchy in English, but you get the idea:

in this city, i know my way around
in this city, i once made my home
how does the city really look today?
in this city, i once made my home



Part 2 is the summer jump-off...

No comments: