Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Things that last



Yes there are dollar stores in Germany too. I went in yesterday looking for a soap dispenser. I walked out with hair clips, a closet organizer, window washing cloths and swiffers. Disposable cheap shit. There is a ongoing debate I have with myself, living in another country. A debate about things. Fred and I have things, things we like, things that last. And they are all in a storage closet in a warehouse in Brooklyn. My grandparents' lamp, our wedding bed, the rug from my parents, the wood-framed couch I found at a salvage yard in St. Paul and refinished with my dad in my parents' garage. We thought we would always have those things, so we bought them or cared for them to make them last. Here in Kassel, we live sparsely, makeshift, our furniture either found or donated from friends or bought second hand. We will be here for the forseeable future, but can anyone tell me how long that will be?

So I end up in the dollar store, buying disposable things. I hear my mother's voice in my head "Don't buy crap," and I wish I could follow her advice. Wish I had my storage closet here in Kassel, could unpack it and never have to buy another crappy replacement thing for the good thing I have back home. I hand over the 5 Euro, head home.

At home I have the morning off. I pick up where I left off on a sewing project. It has been years since I sewed anything other than mending and fixing loose buttons. But the pillow ripped, and I am recovering it with new fabric. Of all the things back home, this is one that made the trip to Germany. I've had it for as long as I can remember - since I was a kid. You can see the fabric underneath the blue silk I'm using to re-cover it.



My mother in law Linda, and my sister in law Lisa are both serious seamstresses. Here are just two things they've made for me that I have here in Kassel - the first bag by Linda, the second by Lisa. You can also check out Lisa's art on her blog: http://lisacondi.blogspot.com.





Lisa and Linda don't just mend and recover pillows, they make beautiful, unique things from scratch, they make quilts, clothes, art. Things made by hand, meant to last.

Like our wedding blanket. It was woven by my mother's friend Colleen Two Feathers as a gift for our wedding 10 years ago this Friday.



It came with us to Germany too. Cat included.

1 comment:

lisa said...

thanks
I've thought a lot about our conversations on this topic since our visit. Zach insists that the difference in our circumstances means that we can still hoard things relentlessly. I am undecided.
good fabric choice for your pillow, by the way and
congrats on your 10 years together.
boom-shanker!